A blog by a fashion lover stuck in the body of an overworked advertising graduate student. With a love for fashion and ADvertising, she has become a fADshionista.


Friday, April 16, 2010

Victoria's Secret Nakeds Campaign

Imagine my surprise as I look on my blackberry this past Tuesday and I see a message forwarded to me from a friend with the subject line: "FW: There's No Better Time To Get Naked." Before I was about to dial my friend to ask why she was sending me e-mails with such provocative titles, I get an email from Victoria's Secret with the same exact subject line. It then dawns on me that this much be Victoria's Secret new e-mail campaign.

I open my e-mail to see an ad of a Victoria's Secret Angel who definitely appears to be showing so much more than she should. Not to mention, her bra seems ill-fitting.

My friend's email says, "So I got this today..kind of embarrassing if someone is looking over ur shoulder lol I think victorias secret might want to reconsider their ads. Seems a bit sleezy don't u think?"






I have always been a fan of Victoria's Secret's online marketing. They do a great job at targeting the young female demographic through their online e-mail campaigns. They definitely have e-mails a woman wants to open rather than automatically trash.

I believe it is one thing to have fun with your product and make consumers want to constantly open up their e-mails to see what you have sent them. However, many people open up e-mails in public places on their phones and laptops. How embarrassed could some of them have been to receive such an ad when it looks as though it belongs in a men's magazine, not in a Victoria's Secret e-mail?

This is more than a blush factor for the recipient. Doesn't this advertisement also violate the trust that the consumer has given to Victoria's Secret? I would think so. You expect e-mails to be somewhat revealing coming from a lingerie company but not this revealing. It definitely makes me want to second guess opening up or even receiving their e-mails in the future.

I have to agree with my friend saying that it seemed a bit sleezy. Not only could the image have been classier but it doesn't match Victoria's Secret's brand image of "classy lingerie." I would suggest that Victoria's Secret try to take a second look at what they are sending to their consumers and rethink a way to show the "naked" line that is so light, it will make you feel "naked."

Bottom line... class it up Victoria! Or in bra terms, find a better fit.

Peace, Love and Fashion. CC

No comments:

Post a Comment