A blog by a fashion lover stuck in the body of an overworked advertising graduate student. With a love for fashion and ADvertising, she has become a fADshionista.


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Clip File: Perfume

Oh la la...you smell lovely! Perfume is such an amazing product as far as advertising goes. It goes beyond a simple print at to just about everything from testers on the counters, spray cards, and free gift with purchase.

I did extensive research by experiencing the process of looking at perfumes in Sephora. They have a great touch screen program where one can go, answer questions, and they will tell you what perfumes suit your personality.

I also spent some time at the counter in Macy's where the woman was kind enough to give me many samples!

Givenchy was one of the ones that stood out to me. Their Justin Timberlake perfume was really great. Using the idea of the iPod and music, they integrated that into the package design. Their spray card looked like an MP3 player and their ad campaign, when I was able to look at it later, clearly encompasses the music aspect. I love the design and how they used the celebrity's personality and industry to make a well thought out line.





They also did a great job with the idea of samples. By using a sample of Liv Tyler's Absolutely Irresistible, I fell in love with the scent enough to purchase it. It just reinforced the fact that samples are a big part of the industry. I was just doing research and not in the market for perfume but ended up loving the sample so much!






Of course, we can't forget about bottle design! Marc Jacob's Lola is an amazingly designed bottle. I also love how the flower petals are reflected in the other packaging as well, such as the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment